Monday, May 7, 2012

Pucker up Buttercup

One sure fire way to piss off a stay at home mother is to act like her "job" isn't important and what she does doesn't matter because she doesn't bring home a paycheck. Seriously? Being a stay at home mom is not a walk in the park, sure you don't really have to get dressed if you don't want to and you don't have to report to an office or punch a timecard. But that doesn't give someone the right to belittle someone because they don't get paid for their services.

Lets see, for me, a typical day starts at 6:00am and ends usually around 10:00pm. In between there, I'm getting kids up and ready for school, taking them to school and then coming home to clean house and take care of the toddler who isn't in school. Then, it's lunchtime and naptime. After that, we're off to the school to pick up one daughter, then not even an hour later we're off again to pick up the other one. Then we have homework, dinnertime and bathtime. Then there's alittle bit of time to relax and settle down for the night before doing it all over again the very next day. And the day after that. And the day after that. And lets not forget to figure in trips to the store and errands that need to be taken care of, because, lets face it - Mom is the only one who can and will do it. Also, there is "the list" of things to do or things that need to be done that is always in the back of my mind, you know the one telling you not to forget the milk again at the store, wondering if you forgot to pay a certain bill, what's for dinner?, what's for breakfast?, Hell, anything for lunch? It's a never-ending list of reminders. And it never goes away. I carry so much weight on me everyday all day, that it's amazing I can stand up, which I do ALL DAY LONG typically because if I sit down someone is going to ask me to get up and do something or get something or something period AND if they don't and I actually get to sit there - it just feels so... wrong. Like I should be doing something else, anything else, besides sitting down. 

So I think you can get my point. Maybe. Maybe not. But until you have ever been a "stay at home mom" you can't really judge me or anyone else who is. I remember when I was little all I wanted to do was be a mom and stay home with my kids while Dad did the work and paid the bills. I don't regret my decision and neither should you. And for all those nay sayers out there, pucker up and kiss it.

2 comments:

  1. That's a long day and I think being a Mom is a true job without a paycheck, but you get the rewards of spending the time with your children which is way more important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess, but not all people see it that way and it really pisses me off because I bust my ass all day long every single day and because I don't make money doesn't mean that what I say or anything doesn't matter. Ya know?

    ReplyDelete